outubro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 13th International Symposium on Multiscale, Multifunctional and Functionally Graded Materials
Full Article - Open Access.
Sustainability in Beauty: A review and extension of Bamboo inspired materials
Tan, Ting; Xia, Tian; O''Folan, Hunter; Dao, Justin; Basch, Zachary; Johanson, Karl; Ozeki, Mieko; Smith, Michelle;
Bamboo is a functionally graded grass composite in nature with extraordinary mechanical properties. This paper performed a review of studies on bamboo inspired materials. It started with the bamboo microstructural properties and mechanical characterizations. Then, a summary of the bamboo fiber reinforced polymeric composites was presented by introducing the fabrication process and the primary features. Subsequently, the study of bamboo inspired functionally graded materials were reviewed based on different applications. Finally, the authors introduced a hybrid energy harvesting system using a bamboo wind turbine and solar panels as an extension of bamboo inspired studies, which could also be a sustainable solution for renewable energy harvesting and utilization in different areas.
Palavras-chave: Bamboo, Functionally Graded Materials, Sustainability, Renewable Energy,
-  W. Liese, W. The anatomy of bamboo culms. Beijing, China: Technical Report-International Network for Bamboo and Rattan; 1998.
-  D. Farrelly, The book of bamboo: A comprehensive guide to this remarkable plant, its uses, and its history, Sierra Club Books Press, San Francisco, CA, US, 1996
-  M. Lobovikov, L. Ball, M. Guardia and L. Russo, World bamboo resources: A thematic study prepared in the framework of the global forest resources assessment 2005, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Press, Rome, Italy, 2007.
-  Inspiration Green, Bamboo buildings: Grow it, build with it, Available at: http://www.inspirationgreen.com/bamboo-buildings.html, 2013.
-  GMA news. DTI to farmers: Grow more bamboo to meet rising demand of $10B global market. Available at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/276454/economy/agricultureandmining/, 2014.
-  T. Tan, N. Rahbar, N., S. Allameh, S. Kwofie, D. Dissmore, K. Ghavami and W. Soboyejo, Mechanical properties of functionally graded hierarchical bamboo structures, Acta biomaterialia,7 (2011)3796-3803.
-  T. Tan, Bamboo inspired materials. Bio-inspired design, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2014 (under review).
-  T.Y. Lo, H. Cui and H. Leung, The effect of fiber density on strength capacity of bamboo, Materials Letters, 58 (2004) 2595-259
-  N. Wai, H. Nanko and K. Murakami, A morphological study on the behavior of bamboo pulp fibers in the beating process, Wood Science and Technology, 19 (1985) 211-222.
-  H. Abdul Khalil, I.,Bhat, M. Jawaid, A. Zaidon, D. Hermawan and Y. Hadi, Bamboo fibre reinforced biocomposites: A review, Materials and Design, 42 (2012) 353-368.
-  Lafarge company, Barajas airport, a window on Madrid, Available at: http://www.lafarge.com/contribute-better-cities, 2013.
-  G. Koren, New bamboo product for the global market, Master thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands, 2010.
-  H. Bruck, J. Evans, and M. Peterson, The role of mechanics in biological and biologically inspired materials, Experimental Mechanics, 42 (2002) 361- 371.
-  J.F. Li, K. Takagi, M. Ono, W. Pan, R. Watanabe, A. Almajid, and M. Taya, Fabrication and evaluation of porous piezoelectric ceramics and porosity– graded piezoelectric actuators, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 86 (2003),1094-1098.
-  D. V. W. M. de Vries, Biomimetic design based on bamboo, Master Thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2010.
-  T. Tan , T. Xia, J. Dao, M. Dahlgren, A hybrid street lamp system with helix Bamboo wind turbines and solar panels, The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT, 2013.
Tan, Ting; Xia, Tian; O''Folan, Hunter; Dao, Justin; Basch, Zachary; Johanson, Karl; Ozeki, Mieko; Smith, Michelle; "Sustainability in Beauty: A review and extension of Bamboo inspired materials", p. 18-21 . In: Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Multiscale, Multifunctional and Functionally Graded Materials [=Blucher Material Science Proceedings, v.1, n.1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-9337, DOI 10.5151/matsci-mmfgm-040-f
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação