outubro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 13th International Symposium on Multiscale, Multifunctional and Functionally Graded Materials
Full Article - Open Access.
Strain Gauge Sensor Comprised of Carbon Nanotube Yarn: Concept and Modeling
Carbon nanotube yarns are micron-size fibers that contain thousands of intertwined carbon nanotubes in their cross sections and exhibit piezoresistance characteristics that can be tapped for sensing purposes. Sensor yarns can be integrated in polymeric and composite materials to measure strain through resistance measurements without adding weight or altering the integrity of the host material. The paper included the details of novel strain gauge sensor configurations made of carbon nanotube and the modeling of their piezoresistive response using parametric optimization schemes that maximize the sensor'' sensitivity to mechanical loading. The effect of several sensor configuration parameters are discussed including the angle and separation of the carbon nanotube yarns within the sensor, and also the mechanical properties of the CNT yarns.
Palavras-chave: Strain Gauge, Carbon Nanotube Yarn, Piezoresistive Response, Parametric Optimization,
-  K.L. Jiang, Q.Q. Li and S.S. Fan. Nanotechnology: spinning continuous carbon nanotube yarns. Nature, 419:801, 2002.
-  W. Lu, M. Zu,, J.-H. Byun, B.-S. Kim and T.-W. Chou. State of the art of carbon nanotube fibers: opportunities and challenges Advanced Materials, 24(14):1805-1833, 201
-  J.L. Abot, M.J. Schulz, Y. Song, S. Medikonda and N. Rooy. Novel distributed strain sensing in polymeric materials. Smart Materials and Structures, 19(8):085007, 2010.
-  A. Hehr, M. Schulz, V. Shanov and Y. Song. Embedded carbon nanotube thread piezoresistive strain sensor performance. Sensor Review, 34(2):209-219, 201
-  J.L. Abot, T. Alosh and K. Belay. Strain dependence of electrical resistance in carbon nanotube yarns. Carbon, 70:95-102, 2014.
-  J.W. Dally and W.F. Riley. Experimental Stress Analysis. McGraw-Hill, 1991.
-  J.N. Reddy. Theory and Analysis of Elastic Plates and Shells. CRC Press, 2006.
-  J.L. Abot, E.C.N. Silva, C.Y. Kiyono and G.P. Thomas. Strain gauge sensors comprised of carbon nanotube yarn: Parametric optimization modeling of their piezoresistive response. Smart Materials and Structures, (submitted).
-  L.A.M. Mello, C.Y. Kiyono, P.H. Nakasone and E.C.N. Silva. Design of quasi-static piezoelectric plate based transducers by using topology optimization. Smart Materials and Structures, 23(2):025035, 2014.
-  M.-H. Bao, W.-J. Qi and Y. Wang. Geometric design rules of four-terminal gauge for pressure sensors. Sensors and Actuators, 18:149-156, 1989.
Abot, Jandro L.; Silva, Emílio C. N.; Kiyono, César Y.; Thomas, Gilles P.; "Strain Gauge Sensor Comprised of Carbon Nanotube Yarn: Concept and Modeling", p. 98-101 . In: Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Multiscale, Multifunctional and Functionally Graded Materials [=Blucher Material Science Proceedings, v.1, n.1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-9337, DOI 10.5151/matsci-mmfgm-193-f
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação