fevereiro 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química
Artigo - Open Access.
SOLUTION STYRENE POLYMERIZATION IN A MILLIREACTOR
The innovative characteristics of microreactors allow producing new materials. The present work analyses the behavior of the Syrris ASIA millireactor for the solution polymerization of styrene. The polymerizations were performed at 100°C, using benzoyl peroxide as initiator and toluene as solvent. Different monomer to solvent ratios and initiator quantities have been tested, besides varying the residence time from 5 to 80 minutes. The variations of the parameters involved gave conversions from 9% to 70%, with MW ranging from 6,000 to 60,000 g/mol. No plugging happened, allowing more aggressive and well controlled applications. A first attempt of modeling was made, using a PFR model and the method of moments to compute the mean distribution. This simplified model gave a good forecast of conversion and average MW for the more diluted experiments, but partially deviated for higher monomer contents, with larger PDIs, meaning a greater discrepancy from plug flow for the millireactor.
-  CABRAL, P.A.; MELO, P.A.; BISCAIA JR., E.C.; LIMA, E.L.; PINTO, J.C. Free‐radical solution polymerization of styrene in a tubular reactor—effects of recycling. Polymer Engineering Andamp; Science, v. 43(6), p. 1163-1179, 2004.
-  HUI, A.W.; HAMIELEC, A. E. Thermal polymerization of styrene at high conversions and temperatures. An experimental study. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, v. 16(3), p. 749-769, 197
-  IWASAKI, T.; YOSHIDA, J. Free radical polymerization in microreactors. Significant improvement in molecular weight distribution control. Macromolecules, v. 38(4), p. 1159-1163, 2005.
-  JÄHNISCH, K.; HESSEL, V.; LÖWE, H.; BAERNS, M. Chemistry in Microstructured Reactors. Angew. Chem. Int., v. 43, p. 406-446, 200
-  MANDAL, M. M.; SERRA, C.; HOARAU, Y.; NIGAM, K.D.P. Numerical modeling of polystyrene synthesis in coiled flow inverter. Microfluidics and nanofluidics, v. 10(2), p. 415-423, 2011.
-  ROSENFELD, C.; SERRA, C.; BROCHON, C.; HADZIIOANNOU, G. High-temperature nitroxide-mediated radical polymerization in a continuous microtube reactor: towards a better control of the polymerization reaction. Chemical Engineering Science, v. 62(18-20), p. 5245-5250, 2007.
-  TULIG, T. J.; TIRRELL, M. Molecular theory of the Trommsdorff effect. Macromolecules, v. 14(5), p. 1501-1511, 1981.
-  VIANNA JR., A. S. . Characterizing a Tubular Polymerization Reactor by Washout Initiator Perturbation. Latin American Applied Research, v. 41, p. 49-55, 2011.
-  WEGNER, J.; CEYLAN, S.; KIRSCHNING, A. Ten key issues in modern flow chemistry. Chemical Communications, v. 47(16), p. 4583-4592, 2011.
FULLIN, L.; MELLONI, E.; VIANNA JR, A. S.; "SOLUTION STYRENE POLYMERIZATION IN A MILLIREACTOR", p. 9836-9843 . In: Anais do XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química - COBEQ 2014 [= Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings, v.1, n.2].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2359-1757, DOI 10.5151/chemeng-cobeq2014-0202-26555-176657
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação