dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Simple Complexities: A Rule-based Approach to Architectural Design
The paper discusses rule-based design strategies that allow for the generation of spatial complexity based on simple principles and taking as well the parameters of construction into account. The presented case studies as part of the academic project „Simple Complexities“ focused on the early integration of optimization parameters, regarding structural performance, physical properties and material specification as well as aspects of fabrication to inform the architectural design. The clear conception of a computation-process whose rules lead to certain formal and structural consequences is the necessary first step towards an architecture that is both structurally interesting and systematically coherent.
Palavras-chave: Performance based design, Rule-based design, Computational Design and construction, Complexity,
-  Jencks, C. (1997), Nonlinear Architecture. New Science = New Architecture?, in: Architectural Design, 129.
-  Schumacher, P. (2010), The Autopoiesis of Architecture: A New Framework for Architecture, Volume 1, Wiley Andamp; Son.
-  Tschumi, B. (1995), Responding to the question of complexity, in: Complexity. Art, Architecture, Philosophy, Journal of Philosophy and the Visual Art, Andrew Benjamin (ed.), Nr. 6. London.
-  Valena, T. a.o. (2011), Structuralism Reloaded. Rule-Based Design in Architecture and Urbanism, Edition Axel Menges.
-  Venturi, R. (1966), Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture, New York, 228-229.
-  Engel, H. (1967), Structural Systems, DVA, Stuttgart.
-  Moussavi, F. (2009), The Function of Form, Actar and Harvard Graduate School of Design.
-  Voronoi, G. (1908), Nouvelles applications des paramètres continus à la théorie des formes quadratiques, Journal für die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik, 133: 97–17
Hemmerling, Marco; "Simple Complexities: A Rule-based Approach to Architectural Design", p. 324-327 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0061
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação