dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Reconfiguring Architectural Space Using Generative Design and Digital Fabrication: A Project Based Course
This paper discusses a course that addresses the integration between generative design and digital fabrication in the context of reconfiguring architectural space. The objective of the course, offered for 3rd year architecture students at the Department of Architecture, Ain Shams University, Egypt, was to design and fabricate interior design elements to be installed within the department lobby. Students worked in digital and physical environments to develop 8 group projects that featured concepts of shape grammars, L- systems, fractals and cellular automata. The potential of the realized projects is discussed in terms of 3D development of systems, contextual generative design, and pedagogical objectives.
Palavras-chave: Contextual generative design, Rule-based systems, Self-organizing systems, Digital fabrication,
-  Alexander, C. (1964). Notes on the Synthesis of Form. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
-  Arida, S. (2004). Contextualizing Generative Design, MSc Thesis, Department of Architecture, MIT.
-  Ebnöther, Y. (2004) SkinChair. Diplomarbeit NDS Architektur, ETH Zürich.
-  Kilian, A. (2006). Design Exploration with Circular Dependencies: A chair design experiment. Proceedings of the CAADRIA 2006 Conference, Kumamoto, Japan, 217–226.
-  Menges, A. (2009). Uncomplicated Complexity: Integration of Material, Form, Structure and Performance in Computational Design, in Hirsch- berg, U, Gethmann, D, Böck, I and Kloft, H (eds), GAM.06 Nonstandard structures, Springer Verlag, Wien, 180–193.
-  Schein, M. (2002). Applied Generative Procedures in Furniture Design, Proceedings of the Generative Art International Conference 2002, Milan, Italy, 21.1–21.10.
-  Schindler, C. and Mbiti, K. (2011). Urban Furniture: Introducing Parametric Modelling and Digital Fabrication in a Part-time Study, Proceedings of the 29th eCAADe Conference, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 368-373.
-  Terzidis, K. (2006). Algorithmic Architecture, Routledge.
Abdelmohsen, Sherif M.; "Reconfiguring Architectural Space Using Generative Design and Digital Fabrication: A Project Based Course", p. 391-395 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0074
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação