dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Pushing the Envelope: Stretching the Limits of Generative Design
Design is characterized by change. Nowadays, addressing change in design requires enormous efforts, particularly, when the designer is exploring different solutions or when it is necessary to adapt the design to evolving constraints. This paper discusses the potential of Generative Design to help designers handling change, namely in the generation of several alternative design solutions. We propose a programming-based approach that, although requiring an initial investment, dramatically reduces the efforts of design modification. We evaluate the approach in a case study and we show that it is cost-effective in the development of an architectural design.
Palavras-chave: Design process, Change, Modeling, Generative design, Programming,
-  Boranyak, S. (2010). Archetype. Civil Engineering, ASCE, 80(2), 76-79.
-  Duarte, J. P. (2005). Towards the mass customization of housing: the grammar of Siza’s houses at Malagueira. Environment and planning B: Planning and Design, 32(3), 347-380.
-  Kalay, Y. (2004). Architecture''s New Media: Principles, Theories, and Methods of Computer-Aided Design. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press.
-  Kilian, A. (2006). Design innovation through constraint modeling. International Journal of Architectural Computing, 1(4), 87-105.
-  McCormack, J., Dorin, A., Andamp; Innocent, T. (2004). Generative design: a paradigm for design research. Proceedings of Futureground, Design Research Society, Melbourne.
-  Terdizis, K. (2003). Expressive Form: A Conceptual Approach to Computational Design. London and New York: Spon Press.
Leitão, António; Fernandes, Rita; Santos, Luís; "Pushing the Envelope: Stretching the Limits of Generative Design", p. 235-238 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0043
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação