Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
PROGRESSIVE FAILURE ANALYSIS OF LOW ENERGY IMPACT IN CARBON FIBER FILAMENT WINDING CYLINDERS
Composite material is very attractive for structural applications due to its inherent mechanical properties and low weight. The improvement in manufacture process allow composite materials be used even as primary structures in modern aircraft design such as Boeing 787 without loss of airworthiness. During service life composite structures can be damaged by collisions, dropping tools during assembly or maintenance, etc. Several impact studies were conducted for plates, but few regards curved geometries or cylinders. This study presents a progressive damage analysis of low energy impact on carbon fiber filament winding cylinders. Three different layups were used for experimental tests. A new material model based in continuum damage mechanics were implemented as a FORTRAN subroutine linked to finite element software ABAQUS for explicit dynamic analysis (VUMAT). Good correlations for force vs. time and displacement vs. time between the numerical model experimental test results were obtained.
Palavras-chave: Impact, filament winding, composite structures, damage, progressive failure analysis,
-  Serge Abrate, "Modeling of impacts on composite structures," Composite Structures, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 129-138, 200
-  O Allix, P Ladevèze, and E Vittecoq, "Modelling and identification of the mechanical behaviour of composite laminates in compression," Composites Science and Technology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 35-42, 1994.
-  ASTM D7139, Standard Test Method for Measuring the Damage Resistance of a Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Matrix Composite to a Drop-Weight Impact Event, 2007.
-  L. Ballère, P. Viot, J.-L. Lataillade, L. Guillaumat, and S. Cloutet, "Damage tolerance of impacted curved panels," International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 243-253, 2009.
-  Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp, Abaqus 6.10. Providence, RI, USA., 2010.
-  M.V. Donadon, L. Iannucci, B.G. Falzon, J.M. Hodgkinson, and S.F.M. de Almeida, "A progressive failure model for composite laminates subjected to low velocity impact damage," Computers \Andamp; Structures, vol. 86, no. 11-12, pp. 1232-1252, 2008.
-  C.T. Herakovich, Mechanics of Fibrous Composites, first edition ed., John Wiley \Andamp;, Ed., 1998.
-  Y. Hong, X.D. He, and R.G. Wang, "Vibration and damping analysis of a composite blade," Materials Andamp; Design, vol. 34, no. 0, pp. 98-105, 2012.
-  S.M.R. Khalili, M. Soroush, A. Davar, and O. Rahmani, "Finite element modeling of low-velocity impact on laminated composite plates and cylindrical shells," Composite Structures, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1363-1375, apr 2011.
-  Satoshi Kobayashi and Mari Kawahara, "Effects of stacking thickness on the damage behavior in CFRP composite cylinders subjected to out-of-plane loading," Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 231-237, 2012.
-  C. Kyriazoglou and F.J. Guild, "Finite element prediction of damping of composite GFRP and CFRP laminates â€“ a hybrid formulation â€“ vibration damping experiments and Rayleigh damping," Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 11â€“12, pp. 2643-2654, 2007.
-  P. Ladeveze and E. LeDantec, "Damage modelling of the elementary ply for laminated composites," Composites Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 257-267, 1992.
-  J. Lemaitre and R. Desmorat, Engineering Damage Mechanics: Ductile, Creep, Fatigue and Brittle Failures, First edition ed.: Springer, 2005.
-  P. Maimí, P.P. Camanho, J.A. Mayugo, and C.G. Dávila, "A continuum damage model for composite laminates: Part I - Constitutive model," Mechanics of Materials, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 897-908, 2007.
-  A. Matzenmiller, J. Lubliner, and R. L. Taylor, "A constitutive model for anisotropic damage in fiber-composites," Mechanics of Materials, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 125- 152, 1995.[Online].
-  G. Minak, S. Abrate, D. Ghelli, R. Panciroli, and A. Zucchelli, "Residual torsional strength after impact of CFRP tubes," Composites Part B: Engineering, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 637-645, 2010.
-  A. Puck and H. Schürmann, "Failure analysis of FRP laminates by means of physically based phenomenological models," Composites Science and Technology, vol. 62, no. 12-13, pp. 1633-1662, 2002.
-  M L Ribeiro, Vi Tita, and D Vandepitte, "A new damage model for composite laminates," Composite Structures, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 635-642, 2012.
-  G.A. Schoeppner and S. Abrate, "Delamination threshold loads for low velocity impact on composite laminates," Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 903-915, 2000.
-  Volnei Tita, "Contribuição ao estudo de danos e falhas progressivas em estruturas de material compósito polimérico," Escola de Engenharia de São Carlos, Ph.D. dissertation 2003.
-  A. T. Travessa, "Simulation of delamination in composites under quasi-static and fatigue loading using cohesive zone models," Universitat de Girona, Ph.D. dissertation 2006.
-  Kevin V. Williams, Reza Vaziri, and Anoush Poursartip, "A physically based continuum damage mechanics model for thin laminated composite structures," International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 2267-2300, 2003.
-  Xinran Xiao, "Evaluation of a composite damage constitutive model for PP composites," Composite Structures, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 163-173, 2007.
-  Nicholas Zabaras and Tasneem Pervez, "Viscous damping approximation of laminated anisotropic composite plates using the finite element method," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 291-316, 1990.
-  Jonas A Zukas, Theodore Nicholas, Hallock F Swift, Longin B Greszczuk, and Donald R. Curran, Impact Dynamics.: John Wiley Andamp; Sons, 1982.
Ribeiro, M. L.; Martins, T.; Angélico, R. A.; Vandepitte, D.; Tita, V.; "PROGRESSIVE FAILURE ANALYSIS OF LOW ENERGY IMPACT IN CARBON FIBER FILAMENT WINDING CYLINDERS", p. 682-701 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18076
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação