Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
PROGRESS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN ELECTRO-MIGRATION MODELLING METHODOLOGY
In this work, previous simulation works on electro-migration have been reviewed, and a multi-physics EM simulation method that combines electric, thermal, atomic diffusion and stress analysis has been proposed. The method is able to solve vacancy concentration distribution with coupling electric current, temperature gradient, hydro-static stress gradient simultaneously and to mimic void formation in realistic structure of microelectronics devices.
Palavras-chave: Electro-migration, Thermo-migration, Stress-migration, Multi-Physics, Modelling.,
-  King-Ning Tu, “Solder Joint Technology – Materials, Properties, and Reliability” Springer 2007.
-  Black JR. Mass transport of aluminum by momentum exchange with conducting electrons. Proc 6th Ann Reliab Phys Symp 1967:148 59.
-  Black JR. Electromigration a brief survey and some recent results. IEEE Trans Electron Devices 1969;16(4):338 47.
-  Black JR. Electromigration failure modes in aluminum metallization for semiconductor devices. Proc IEEE Lett 1969;57(9):1578 9
-  Huntington, H.B and Grone,A.R. ,J.Phys Chem. Solid, 20,76,(1961)
-  D’Heurle, F.M., Metallurgical Transaction, 2,683 ( 1971)
-  Agarwala, B.N. in Proc. 13th Int. Reliability Physics Symp, IEEE, 1975, p 107
-  Schafft, H.A., Grant, T.C., Saxena, A. N., and Kao, C., in Proc. 23rd Int. Reliability Physics Symp., IEEE, 1985,. P93
-  Lloyd JR. Black’s law revisited – nucleation and growth in electromigration failure. Microelectron Reliab 2007; 47:1468–72.
-  Zeng K, Tu KN. 2002. Six cases of reliability study of Pb-free solder joints in electronic packaging technology. Mater. Sci. Eng. Rep. 38:55–105
-  Wright SL, Polastre R, Gan H, Buchwalter LP, Horton R, et al. 2006. Characterization of micro-bump C4 interconnects for Si-carrier SOP applications. Proc. Electron. Compon. Technol. Conf., 56th, San Diego15:633–40
-  Chih Chen, H.M. Tong, and K.N. Tu, Electromigration and Thermomigration in Pb- Free Flip-Chip Solder Joints, Annu Rev. Mater, Res, 2010. 40: 531-555
-  A. Mathewson, P.O’Sullivan et al, “Modelling and Simulations of Reliability for Design”, Microelectronic Engineering 49 (1999), pp.95-117.
-  Yuan Guangjie and Chen Leng, “Finite Element Simulation of Hydrostatic Stress in Copper Interconnects”, Journal of Semiconductors (2011), Vol.32, No.5.
-  L. T. Shi and K. N. Tu, “Finite-element Modelling of Stress Distribution and Migration in Interconnecting Studs of a Three Dimensional Multillevel Device Structure”, Applied Physics Letter 65 (12), Sep 1994
-  A.I.Sauter and W.D.Nix, “Stress-Induced Phenomena in Metallization”, Journal of Materials Research 7 (1987) pp.1133-1325
-  P. M. Igic, P. A. Mawby, “An Advanced Finite Element Strategy for Thermal Stress Field Investigation in Aluminium Interconnections during Processing of very Large Scale Integration Multilevel Structures”, Microelectronics Journal 30 (1999), pp.1207-1212
-  Y. L. Shen, “Thermo-Mechanical Stresses in Copper Interconnects – A Modelling Analysis”, Microelectronic Engineering 83 (2006), pp.446-459
-  Kirsten Weide-Zaage, David Dalleau et al., “Static and Dynamic Analysis of Failure Locations and Void Formation in Interconnects due to Various Migration Mechanisms”, Material Science in Semiconductor Processing 6 (2003), pp.85-92.
-  Yong Liu, Lihua Liang, Scott Irving, Timwah Luk, 3D Modeling of electromigration combined with thermal–mechanical effect for IC device and package, Microelectronics Reliability, 48 (2008) 811–824
-  Liang LH, Xu YJ, Liu Y. Electro-migration study in solder joint and interconnects of IC packages. In: Proceedings of EuroSIME2006, April 2006, Como/Italy. p. 464–70.
-  Liang LH, Liu Y. Reliability study in solder joint under electromigration thermal– mechanical load. In: International conference on electronics packaging technology, ICEPT2006. p. 861
-  F. Cacho, V.Fiori, C. Chappaz, C.Tavernier, H.Jaouen, Modeling of Electromigration Induced Failure Mechanism in Semiconductor Devices, Excerpt from the proceedings of the COMSOL Users Conference 2007 Grenoble
-  Physica Ltd, 3 Rowan Drive, Witney, Oxon, United Kingdom, http://www.physica.co.uk/
-  R.L. de Orio, H. Ceric, S. Selberherr, “Physically based models of electromigration: From Black’s equation to modern TCAD models”, P775-789, Microelecronics Reliability, 2010
-  de Groot SR. “Theorie phenomenologique de L’Effet soret”. Physica 1942:699–707
-  Sukharev V, Zschech E, Nix WD. “A model for electromigration-induceddegradation mechanisms in dual-inlaid copper interconnects: effect of microstructure.” J Appl Phys 2007;102:053505.
-  Liniger EG, Gignac LM, Hu C-K, Kaldor S. “In situ study of void growth kinetics in electroplated Cu lines”. J Appl Phys 2002;92(4):1803–10.
-  Lodder A, Dekker JP. “The electromigration force in metallic bulk”. AIP Conf Proc 1998;418:315–
-  Yong Liu, Qiang Wang, Lihua Liang, Xuefan Chen, Scott Irving and Timwah Luk, A New Prediction Methodology for Electromigration-Induced Solder Degradation in a WLCSP System, 2009 Electronic Components and Technology Conference
-  Serway, Raymond A. (1998). Principles of Physics (2nd ed ed.). Fort Worth, Texas; London: Saunders College Pub. p. 602. ISBN 0-03-020457-7.
-  Engineering Tool Box, http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com
-  Annie T. Huang and K.N. Tu, Effect of the combination of electromigration and thermomigration on phas migration and partial melting in flip chip composite SnPb solder joints, Journal of Applied Physics; 100, 033512 (2006)
-  Xiaoxin Zhu, Hiren Kotadia, Sha Xu, Hua Lu, Samjid H. Mannan, YC Chan, Chris Bailey, Multi-physics Computer Simulation of the Electromigration Phenomenon, C-005, ICEPT-HDP 2011, IEEE, Shanghai, China
Zhu, Xiaoxin; Kotadia, hiren; Xu, Sha; Lu, Hua; Mannan, Samjid. H.; Bailey, Chris; Chan, Y.C; "PROGRESS IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN ELECTRO-MIGRATION MODELLING METHODOLOGY", p. 2275-2287 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18799
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação