dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 8 - XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Design in Freedom
Article - Open Access.
Physical Computing without the Computing: Small Responsive Prototypes
This paper outlines a framework for better understanding the appropriate skills and roles of design students as developed by the author for a one-week short course on the topic of physical computing and design. Severe time constraints forced an examination of how to introduce physical computing to students with novice understandings of these systems and how they work, while maintaining expec- tations to prototype and produce full-scale spatial installations. This framework allowed the short-course students to deliver focused and well-crafted self-assembling lattice prototypes, while integrating the complexities of human interaction, spatial effects, fabrication, detailing, and prototyping.
Palavras-chave: Physical computing, Self-assembly, Responsive environments, Design education, Digital fabrication,
-  Beesley, P. (2012). Soil and Protoplasm: Designing the Hylozoic Ground Component System”. in B. Sheil (Ed.), Manufacturing the Bespoke: Making and Prototyping Architecture, Archi- tectural Design Reader (pp. 102-119). London, UK: Wiley.
-  Buente, A., Perry, K. (2013). “Temporal Synapse”. PROJECTiONE. Retrieved from http://projectione.com/temporal-synapse/.
-  Chilton, J. (2000). Space Grid Structures. Oxford: Architectural Press.
-  Igoe, T., O’Sullivan, D. (2004). Physical Computing. Boston, MA: Thomson.
-  Senagala, M., Vermillion, J. (2009). An Inconvenient Studio. Pro- ceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (pp. 287-290). Chicago, 22-25 October.
-  Terzidis, K. (2006). Algorithmic Architecture. Oxford: Architec- tural Press.
-  Thune, G., Velikov, K., O’Malley, M., Sauve, L. (2012). The Agency of Responsive Envelopes: Interaction, Politics and Interconnected Systems. International Journal of Architectural Computing, Vol. 10, No. 3, 377-400.
-  Tibbits, S. (2012). Design to Self-assembly. Material Computation: Higher Integration in Morphogenetic Design, Architectural Design 82, 68-73.
-  Tibbits, S., Falvello, A. (2013). BioMolecular, Chiral and Irregular Self-Assemblies. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (pp. 267-268). Cambridge, ON. 24-26 October.
Vermillion, Joshua; "Physical Computing without the Computing: Small Responsive Prototypes", p. 643-646 . In: Proceedings of the XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Design in Freedom [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.8].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2014-0133
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação