Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
MATERIAL POINT METHOD FOR HYDRO-MECHANICAL PROBLEMS AND ITS APPLICATION TO SEEPAGE FAILURE ANALYSES
In this study, a fluid-soil coupled MPM algorithm based on Biot’s theory is proposed for solving hydro-mechanical problems of soil including large deformation problems. The proposed algorithm can be computationally efficient for dealing with the large deformation problems since it uses an Eulerian background mesh for solving the equation of motion of soil in a similar manner as the conventional FEM using physical quantities such as effective stresses and pore water pressures introduced from Lagrangian particles which consist of solid and liquid phases. In order to examine the numerical stability and accuracy of the method, simulations of one-dimensional consolidation test were carried out and the results were compared to the analytical solution. The effect of mesh size and particle number per mesh on the accuracy of the proposed algorithm was also discussed. In order to show the capability of the proposed method, an experiment on a large scale levee failure due to seepage was simulated. The computed large displacements and the behavior of the failed levee matched well with those from the experiment. The effect of change of pore water pressures due to seepage to the effective stress paths in the levee was also discussed.
Palavras-chave: Hydro-mechanical problem, Seepage, Material Point Method.,
-  Bardenhagen, S.G. and Kober, E.M., “The generalized interpolation material point method” Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science, Vol. 5, No.6, 477-495, 2004.
-  Belytschko T., Lu Y.Y. and Gu, L., “Element free Galerkin methods,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 37, 229–256, 1994.
-  Biot, M.A., “Mechanics of deformation and acoustic propagation in porous media,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 33(4), 1482-1498, 1962.
-  Gingold R.A. and Monaghan J.J., “Smoothed particle hydrodynamics: theory and applications to non-spherical stars,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Vol. 181, 375–389, 1977.
-  Iseno, H., Kohashi, H., Furumoto, K., Mori, H. and Ohno, M., “Large model tests of levee reinforcement method with toe drain for seepage failure,” Proceedings of Annual symposium of Japanese geotechnical society, Vol. 39, 1255-1256, 200 (in Japanese)
-  Klar, A., Soga, K. and Ng, M.Y.A., “Coupled Deformation-Flow Analysis for Methane Hydrate Extraction”, Geotechnique, Vol. 60, No. 10, 765-776, 2010.
-  Lucy L., “A numerical approach to testing the fission hypothesis,” Astronomical Journal, Vol. 81, 1013–1024, 197
-  Mori, H., “The SPH method to simulate river levee failures,” Master thesis, University of Cambridge, 200
-  Shiomi, T., “Considerations for instability and accuracy of u-p formulation,” Computational mechanics, WCCM VI in conjunction with APCOM ’04, Beijing, No.410, 2004.
-  Sulsky, D., Zhou, S.J. and Schreyer, H. L., “Application of a particle-in-cell method to solid mechanics,” Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 87, 236-252, 1995.
-  Terzaghi K and Peck RB., “Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice (2nd edn),” Wiley: New York, 1976.
Abe, K.; Soga, K.; Bandara, S.; "MATERIAL POINT METHOD FOR HYDRO-MECHANICAL PROBLEMS AND ITS APPLICATION TO SEEPAGE FAILURE ANALYSES", p. 30-41 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-15667
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação