dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Jean Baudrillard, design theorist
This paper argues that the writings of cultural-theorist Jean Baudrillard from the late 1960s and early 1970s provided an important contribution to twentieth-century Design Theory. Baudrillard’s theory of consumer society was informed by a critical engagement with themes that preoccupied twentieth-century design practice and theory. Rejecting the designer’s testimony as evidence, Baudrillard insisted that design be understood within the broader sociological context of consumer society. Towards the close of the 1960s, as the universalist project of Functionalism was attacked by various factions, Baudrillard uniquely argued that Functionalism had not simply failed to establish a singular mode of design in opposition to the multiplicity of fashion; rather Functionalism was fashion’s progenitor and perfect exemplar.
Palavras-chave: functionalism, Jean Baudrillard, design theory, twentieth century,
-  Betts, P. (1988) ‘Science, Semiotics and Society: The Ulm Hochschule für Gestaltung in Retrospect’, Design Issues, vol. 14, no. 2, Summer, pp. 67–82.
-  Baudrillard J. (1981) For a Critique of the Political Economy of the Sign, translated by Levin, C., St. Louis, MO: Telos Press.
-  Baudrillard J. (1988) The Consumer Society, translated by Turner, C., London: Sage.
-  Baudrillard J. (2005) The System of Objects, translated by Benedict, J., London: Verso.
-  Branzi, A. (1984) The Hot House: Italian New Wave Design, translated by Evans, C.H., London: Thames and Hudson.
-  Giedion, S. (1948) Mechanization Takes Command, New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
-  Gropius, W. (1935) The New Architecture and The Bauhaus, translated by Shand, P. M., London: Faber and Faber.
-  Jencks, C. (1973) Modern Movements in Architecture, New York, NY: Anchor Press.
-  Buckley, C. and Violeau, J-L. (ed.) (2011) Utopie: Texts and Projects, 1967–1978, London: Semiotext(e).
-  Muthesius, H. (1994) Style-Architecture and Building-Art, translated by Anderson, S., Santa Monica, CA: The Getty Centre.
-  Papanek, V. (1972) Design for the Real World, London: Thames Andamp; Hudson.
-  Pevsner, N. (1936) Pioneers of the Modern Movement, London: Faber and Faber.
-  Read, H. (1934) Art and Industry, London: Faber and Faber.
-  Saussure, F. de (1974) Course in General Linguistics, translated by Baskin, W., Glasgow: Collins.
-  Schwartz, F.J. (1996) The Werkbund: Design Theory and Mass Culture before the First
-  World War, London: Yale University Press.
-  Venturi, R. (1966) Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture, New York, NY: The Museum of Modern Art.
Fuller, Robin; "Jean Baudrillard, design theorist", p. 104-107 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0007
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação