Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 2 - 6th Information Design International Conference
Full Article - Open Access.
Interaction Rehearsal Technique or Heuristic Evaluation? Comparison of assessment procedures for a home appliance graphic user interface with emphasis on Information Design
This paper aimed to verify the suitability of the methods “Rehearsal Technique” with users and “Heuristic Evaluation” in the evaluation process of the usability of appliance’s control panel, during the product development process. Both methods were applied with the same goal, identify usability issues with emphasis on information design, and with the same product, a functional prototype of a washing and drying machine’s control panel. The heuristic evaluation was applied by three analysts, and the rehearsal technique, applied with ten participants. Each of the methods resulted on usability issues, which were evaluated by criticality and related to design fields. It was concluded that the heuristic evaluation allowed the verification of broader usability problems, early detecting about 85% of the issues identified on the rehearsal technique. However, the rehearsal technique enabled the identification of user feedback, as well as actual behaviors, and confirming some usability issues. Therefore, it is indicted the consideration of heuristic evaluation as a helpful strategy on evaluation of usability, not only as a preliminary evaluation for the usability test.
Palavras-chave: experiência do usuário, eletrodoméstico, avaliação da usabilidade, user experience,
-  ANNETT, J.; STANTON, N. A. (eds.). 2000. Task Analysis. London: Taylor Andamp; Francis.
-  BASTIEN, J. M. C.; SCAPIN, D. L. 1993. Ergonomic criteria for the evaluation of human-computer interfaces. Tech. Rep. n.156. Rocquencourt, France: Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique.
-  DUMAS, J. S.; MOLICH, R.; JEFFRIES, R. 2004. Describing usability problems: Are we sending the right message? In: Interactions, vol. 11, n. 4: 24-29.
-  DUMAS, J. S.; SALZMAN, M. C. 2006.Usability Assessment Methods. In: Reviews of Human Factors and Ergonomics, vol. 2: 109-140.
-  HACKOS, J. T.; REDISH, J. C. 1998. User and task analysis for interface design. Nova York: John Wiley Andamp; Sons, Inc.
-  HARTSON, H. R.; ANDRE, T. S.; WILLIGES, R. C. 2003.Criteria for evaluating usability evaluation methods. In: International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 15, nº1: 145-181.
-  INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDIZATION. 2002.ISO TR 16982:2002, Ergonomics of human-system interaction - Usability methods supporting human-centred design.
-  INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDIZATION. 199 ISO 9241-11:1998, Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs) - Part 11: Guidance on usability.
-  JONES, M.; MARSDEN, G. 2006.Mobile Interaction Design.West Sussex: John Wiley Andamp; Sons Ltd.
-  KARWOWSKI, W.; SOARES, M. M.; STANTON, N. A. (eds.). 2011. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Consumer Product Design, Uses and Applications. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
-  MAGUIRE, M. 2001. Methods to support human-centred design. In: Int. J. Human-Computer Studies, vol. 55: 587-634
-  ROTO, V.; OBRIST, M.; MATTILA, K. V. V. 2009. User experience evaluation methods in academic and industrial contexts. In: Proceedings of the Workshopon User Experience Evaluation Methods UXEM’09(INTERACT ‘O9). Uppsala: ACM Press.
-  SHNEIDERMAN, B.; PLAISANT, C. 2004.Designing theUserInterface: Strategiesfor EffectiveHuman‐Computer Interaction. Boston: Addison Wesley.
-  STANTON, N. A.; YOUNG, M. S. 1999.A Guide to Methodology in Ergonomics: Designing for human use. Londres: Taylor Andamp; Francis.
-  STANTON, N. A.; SALMON, P. M.; WALKER, G. H.; BABER, C.; JENKINS, D. P. 2005. Human factors methods: a practical guide for engineering and design. Cornwall: Ashgate.
-  TULLIS, T.; ALBERT, B. 2008.Measuring the user experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics.San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann.
Macedo, Vanessa D. de; Silva, Caio M. de A. e; Lemos, Rafaela L.; Okimoto, Maria L. L. R.; "Interaction Rehearsal Technique or Heuristic Evaluation? Comparison of assessment procedures for a home appliance graphic user interface with emphasis on Information Design", p. 1107-1117 . In: In Coutinho, Solange G.; Moura, Monica; Campello, Silvio Barreto; Cadena, Renata A.; Almeida, Swanne (orgs.). Proceedings of the 6th Information Design International Conference, 5th InfoDesign, 6th CONGIC [= Blucher Design Proceedings, num.2, vol.1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0824-2
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação