Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
FINITE ELEMENT EVALUATION OF HUMAN BODY RESPONSE TO VERTICAL IMPULSE LOADING
Vertical drop tests are commonly used to evaluate the effectiveness of energy absorbing seats in the mitigation of loads resulting from axial impulsive impacts. Crashworthy seats, designed to mitigate energy produced by landmine blast events against tactical vehicles, are often investigated and evaluated with the use of an Anthropometric Test Device (ATD) such as the Hybrid III dummy. Since these ATDs were originally designed to evaluate occupant response in frontal collisions, this paper presents a finite element analysis comparing the response of a Hybrid III dummy model to a human body model, newly modified at Wayne State University, in a vertical loading scenario. Two different seated configurations with varying leg angles for each model were vertically loaded with an acceleration pulse of 120 g for 10 ms. The predicted responses from the two models were compared in terms of the forces and bending moments on the tibia and femur. It has been found that the responses predicted by both models exhibited similar trends, but compared to the Hybrid III dummy model, the forces and moments simulated with the human model gave lower peak values for longer durations.
Palavras-chave: Human Finite Element modelling, blast injuries, lower limb, drop tower test,
-  Owens B.D., Kragh J.F., Macaitis J., Svoboda S.J., and Wenke, J.C., 2007. “Characterization of extremity wounds in operation Iraqi freedom and operation enduring freedom”. Journal of Orthopedic Trauma, 21, 254-257.
-  Wang J., Bird B., Swinton B., and Krstic A. , 2001. “Protection of lower limbs against floor impact in Army vehicles experiencing landmine explosion. J Battlefield Technol.
-  Kuppa S., Wang J. and Haffner M., 2001. “Lower extremity injuries and associated injury criteria”, Proc. 17th International Tech. Conference. Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
-  Bir C., Barbir B., Dosquet F., Wilhelm M., Horst M., Wolfe G., 2008. “Validation of lower limb surrogates as injury assessment tools in floor impacts due to anti-vehicular land mines”. Association of Military Surgeons of the U.S.
-  Nilakantan G. and Tabiei A., 2009. “Computational assessment of occupant injury caused by mine blasts underneath infantry vehicles”, Int. J. Vehicle Structures and Systems.
-  Rayeesa A., Reinecke D., Snyman I., Whyte T., 2010. “The design and implementation of a lower leg impact tester to assist in lower limb injury criteria research”. Science real and relevant conference 2010.
-  Pandelani T., Reinecke D., Beetge F., 2010. “In pursuit of vehicle landmine occupant protection: Evaluating the dynamic response characteristic of the military lower extremity leg (MiL-Lx) compared to the hybrid III lower leg”. Science real and relevant conference 2010.
-  Quenneville CE., McLachlin S., Fraser GS., Dunning CE., 2010. “Injury tolerance criteria for short-duration impulse loading of the isolated tibia”. The journal of Trauma injury, Infection and Critical care, volume 70.
-  Tannous RE., Bandak FA., Toridis TG., Eppinger R., 1996. “A three dimensional finite element model of the human ankle: development and preliminary application to axial implusive loading”. Society of Automotive engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, USA.
-  Beaugonin M., Haug E., Cesari D., 1997. “Improvement of numerical ankle/foot model:modeling of deformable bone”. Stapp Car crash J.41:224-237.
-  Brustein AH., Reilly DT., Martens M., 1976. “Aging of bone tissue: mechanical properties. J bone joint surg (Am volume). 58:82-86.
-  Untaroiu C., Darvish K., Crandall J., Deng B., Wang JT., 2005. “A finite element models of the lower limb for simulation pedestrian impacts”. Stapp Car crash J.49:157-181.
-  Kim YS., Choi HH., Cho YN., Park TJ., LEE JB., Yang KH., King AI., 2005. “Numerical investigation of interactions between the knee-thigh-hip complex with vehicle interior structures”. Stapp Car crash J.49:85-115.
-  McElhaney J.H., 1966. “Dynamic response of bone and muscle tissue”. Journal of Applied Physiology, 21.
Suresh, Mahi; Zhu, Feng; Yang, King H.; Serres, Jennifer L.; Tannous, Rabih E.; "FINITE ELEMENT EVALUATION OF HUMAN BODY RESPONSE TO VERTICAL IMPULSE LOADING", p. 1809-1818 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18555
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação