Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
DEVELOPMENT OF NUMERICAL PROCEDURE ON ICE ACCRETION PHENOMENA CONSIDERING SPLASH AND BOUND
Ice accretion is a phenomenon that super-cooled water droplets impinge and accrete on a body. It is well known that ice accretion on blades and airfoils leads to aerodynamic performance degradation and has caused severe accidents. The flight test for ice accretion is too expensive and difficult to reproduce every climate condition where ice accretion occurs. Therefore, the numerical simulation is very useful to predict or estimate ice accretion. In the previous researches, various models have been proposed, but the predicted results were in insufficient agreement with experimental and field data. One of the reasons for the disagreement is that the model of SLD(Super-cooled Large Droplet) has not been validated. Therefore, in this study, the authors applied the SLD model to the NACA0012 airfoil and compared the results with the experimental data. As a result, the computations without the model excessively overpredicted the experimental results, but the results with the model provided a closer agreement with the experimental results on the accreted ice shape.
Palavras-chave: Computational Fluid Dynamics, Icing, Super-cooled Large Droplet,
-  Launder B.E., Spalding D. B., “The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows”, Computer methods in applied mechanics and engineering, 3, 2, 269-289, 1974.
-  Yee H. C., “Upwind and Symmetric Shock-capturing Schemes”, NASA-TM-89464, 1987.
-  Ozgen S., Canibek M., “Ice accretion simulation on multi-element airfoils using extended Messinger model”, Heat and Mass Transfer, 45, 305-322, 2009.
-  Wright B.W., Potapczuk, M.G., Levinson L.H., “Comparison of LEWICE and GlennICE in SLD regime”, NASA TM 215174, 1-24, 2008.
-  Trujillo M.F., Mathews W.S., “Modeling and experiment of impingement and atomization of a liquid spray on a wall”, International Journal of Engine, 1.1, 87-105, 1999.
-  Anderson D.N., Tsao, J.C., “Additional results of ice-accretion scaling at SLD conditions”, NASA CR 213850, 1-11, 2005.
Isobe, K.; Suzuki, M.; Yamamoto, M.; "DEVELOPMENT OF NUMERICAL PROCEDURE ON ICE ACCRETION PHENOMENA CONSIDERING SPLASH AND BOUND", p. 4941-4949 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-20164
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação