fevereiro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Full Article - Open Access.
Design history: from service subject to discrete discipline
Design history is undergoing an identifiable shift from a relatively marginal and insecure position as a service provider operating within design education, to a recognizable and independent research discipline. This paper examines both the relationship between the practice and purpose of design history within design education as it is taught and researched in various countries, as well as the subject’s emerging status as an independent discipline.
Palavras-chave: Design history, Historiography, Methodology, Pedagogy, Interdisciplinarity,
-  Adamson, G., Riello, G. And Teasley, S. (Ed.) 201 Global Design History. London: Routledge
-  Appadurai, A. (Ed.) 1986. The Social Life of Things: Commodities in Cultural Perspective. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
-  Atkinson, P. 2010. Computer. London: Reaktion. Attfield, J. 2000. Wild Things: The Material Culture of Everyday Life. Oxford: Berg.
-  Attfield, J. 2007. Bringing Modernity Home: Writings on Popular Design and Material Culture. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
-  Attfield, J. And Kirkham, P. (Ed.) 1989. A View From the Interior: Feminism, Women and Design. London: The Women’s Press.
-  Balcioglu, T. 2012. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 27 February.
-  Betts, P. 2004. The Authority of Everyday Objects: A Cultural History of West German Industrial Design. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
-  Blaszczyk, R. L. 2002. Imagining Consumers: Design and Innovation from Wedgwood to Corning. Baltimore, MA: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
-  Brawley, S., Kelly, T. M., And Timmins. G. 200 SoTL and National Difference: Musings from three historians from three countries. Arts and Humanities in Higher Education, 8 (1): 8-25.
-  Buckley, C. 1986. Made in Patriarchy: Towards a Feminist Analysis of Women and Design. Design Issues, 3 (2): 1-31.
-  Campi, I. 20 Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 30 November.
-  Dalla Mura, M. 2011. Emails to Grace Lees-Maffei, 30 November and 7 December.
-  Dilnot, C. 1984. The State of Design History, Part I: Mapping the Field. Design Issues, 1 (1): 4-23.
-  Fallan, K. 2010. Design History: Understanding Theory and Method. Oxford: Berg.
-  Fallan, K. 2011. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 29 November.
-  Forty, A. 1986. Objects of Desire: Design and Society 1750 to 1980. London: Thames And Hudson.
-  Fry, T. 1988. Design History Australia: A Source Text in Methods and Resources. Sydney: Hale And Iremonger.
-  Harvey, K. (Ed.) 2009. History and Material Culture: A Student’s Guide to Approaching Alternative Sources. London: Routledge.
-  Julier, G. 2011. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 29 November.
-  Kikuchi, Y. 2011. Design Histories and Design Studies in East Asia: Part 1. Journal of Design History, 24 (3): 273-282.
-  Kikuchi, Y. 2012. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 3 March.
-  Krippendorf, K. 2006. The Semantic Turn: A New Foundation for Design. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
-  Lavin, M. 2002. Clean New World: Culture, Politics, and Graphic Design. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
-  Lee, Y. 2012a. Design Histories and Design Studies in East Asia: Part 3 Korea. Journal of Design History, 25 (1): 93-106.
-  Lee, Y. 2012b. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 29th February.
-  Lees-Maffei, G. And Houze, R. (Ed.) 2010. The Design History Reader. Oxford: Berg.
-  Lichtman, S. A. 2009. ‘Reconsidering the History of Design Survey’. Journal of Design History, 22 (4): 342-250.
-  Margolin, V. 1992. Design History or Design Studies: Subject Matter and Methods. Design Studies, 13 (2): 104-116.
-  Margolin, V. 2002. Design History in the United States, 1977-2000. In MARGOLIN, V. The Politics of the Artificial: Essays on Design and Design Studies, Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.
-  Margolin, V. 2009. Design in History. Design Issues, 25 (2): 94-105.
-  Margolin, V. 2011. Email to D.J. Huppatz. 16 December.
-  McNeil, P. 2011. Email to D.J. Huppatz. 19 December.
-  Meikle, J. L. 1995. American Plastic: A Cultural History. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
-  Miller, D. 1991 . Material Culture and Mass Consumption. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
-  Molotch, H. 2011. Objects in Sociology. In CLARKE, A.J. (Ed.) Design Anthropology: Object Culture in the 21st Century. Vienna: Springer-Verlag.
-  Munslow, A. 2005. The Routledge Companion to Historical Studies. London: Routledge.
-  Prina, D. 2011. Emails to Grace Lees-Maffei. 30 November and 4 December.
-  Putnam, T. 2012. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 28 April.
-  Shove, E., Watson, M., Hand, M. And Ingram, J. 2007. The Design of Everyday Life. Oxford: Berg.
-  Sparke, P. 1986. An Introduction to Design and Culture in the Twentieth Century. London: Allen And Unwin.
-  traganou, j. 2012. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 12 February.
-  Walker, J. A. (Ed.) 1989. Design History and the History of Design. London: Pluto.
-  Walker, M. 2009. “Making a World that is Worth Living In”: Humanities teaching and the formation of practical reasoning. Arts and Humanities in Higher Education, 8 (3): 231-246
-  Wong, W. S. 2011. Design History and Study in East Asia: Part 2 Greater China: People’s Republic of China/Hong Kong/ Taiwan. Journal of Design History 24 (4): 375-395.
-  Wong, W. S. 2012. Email to Grace Lees-Maffei. 28 February.
-  Woodham, J. 1995. Resisting Colonization: Design History Has Its Own Identity. Design Issues 11 (1): 22-37.
-  Woodham, J. 2001. Designing Design History: From Pevsner to Postmodernism. Working Papers in Communication Research Archive 1 (1): Digitization and Knowledge. http://www.aut.ac.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/15816/jonathan_woodham.pdf (last accessed 27/04/12)
-  Woodward, I. 2007. Understanding Material Culture. London: Sage Publications.
LEES-MAFFEI, Grace; HUPPATZ, D.J.; "Design history: from service subject to discrete discipline", p. 28-31 . In: Farias, Priscila Lena; Calvera, Anna; Braga, Marcos da Costa & Schincariol, Zuleica (Eds.). Design frontiers: territories, concepts, technologies [=ICDHS 2012 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies]. São Paulo: Blucher, 2012.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0692-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação