Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 8 - XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Design in Freedom
Article - Open Access.
Crafting Soft Geometry Form and Materials Informing Analog and Digital Craft Processes
This paper outlines a methodology that adds to current craft-based discourse in the digital age. It proposes pedagogy centered on a constant examining of the parametric relationships between form, material, and load. The paper illustrates how materials and loads were integrated as datasets into “soft geometry” modeling and installation pipelines that further explore a hybrid process that incorporates materials and craftsmanship. The results expand the boundary of conventional static form and spatial interaction within the deformation rules (material and force) while seeking form through the exploration of both digital simulation and analog techniques.
Palavras-chave: digital-physical, craft, soft geometry, form, material,
-  Choma, J. (2010) Contested Boundaries: Digital Fabrication + Hand Craft. Sigradi Conference Proceedings.
-  Lynn, G. (2008). Greg Lynn Form, New York: Rizzoli. McCullough, M. (1996) Abstracting Craft: The Practiced Digital Hand. MIT Press: Cambridge, MA.
-  Oxman, N. (2007). Digital Craft: Fabrication Based Design in the Age of Digital Production, in Workshop Proceedings for Ubicomp 2007: International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing. September; Innsbruck, Austria; 534-538
-  Pye, D. (1968) The Nature and Art of Workmanship. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, MA.
-  Sela-Smith, S. (2002). Heuristic Research: A Review and Critique of Moustakas’s Method. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 42(3), 53-88.
Anderson, Jonathon; Tang, Ming; "Crafting Soft Geometry
Form and Materials Informing Analog and Digital Craft Processes", p. 183-186 . In: Proceedings of the XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Design in Freedom [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.8].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2014-0033
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação