Março 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - 2nd International Conference of Art, Illustration and Visual Culture in Infant and Primary Education
Article - Open Access.
Considering the Drawing Education for Children during the 19th Century to the 20th Century in England
This paper is an attempt to trace the development of the drawing education of children during the early 19th century to the early 20th century in England on a theoretical basis and to investigate it aesthetically, checking this development against the current shift of the Western conception of nature. In education philosophy after Rousseau, it is important to retain “naturalness”; great sensibility, imagination, and innocence, in children. On the other hand, in England, an educational role was thought to humanize this naturalness, to make it into that which contributed to the existing society. In this paper, I will trace the modern history of English art education, comparing it with an understanding of drawings by children under the word of “primitive” and will clarify the turning point of negative meanings to positive ones.
Palavras-chave: Nature, primitive, modern art, drawings by children, creativity,
-  Ashwin, C. (1981). Drawing and Education in German-speaking Europe: 1800-1900. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI Research Press.
-  Fry, R. (1908). “Expression and Representation in the Graphic Arts.” A Roger Fry Reader. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press (1996), pp. 61–71.
-  Fry, R. (1924). “Children’s Drawings.” Burlington Magazine, Vol. 44, January, pp. 35–41.
-  Fry, R. (1926). “Some Questions in Esthetics.” Transformations, New York: Doubleday Andamp; Company (1956), pp. 89–108.
-  Fry, R. (1933). “Children’s Drawings.” New Statesman and Nation, June 24, pp. 844–4
-  Pestalozzi, J. H. (1801). How Gertrude teaches her children. Trans. by L. Holland Andamp; F. Turner. Syracuse: C. W. Bardeen (1898).
-  Rousseau, J. J. (1761). Emile. Trans. by Barbara Foxley. London: J. M. Dent Andamp; Sons (1957).
-  Sully, J. (1895). Studies of Childhood. New York: D. Appleton Andamp; Company (1896).
Kaname, Mariko; "Considering the Drawing Education for Children during the 19th Century to the 20th Century in England", p. 153-157 . In: Barbosa, Helena; Quental, Joana [Eds]. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference of Art, Illustration and Visual Culture in Infant and Primary Education.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-695X, ISBN: 978-989-98185-0-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação