Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Automated Architecture: Why CAD, Parametrics and Fabrication are Really Old News
Automation is transforming a significant number of industries today. This paper discusses how the Design and Construction industry is also entering into a new era of automation. In the paper I observe that designers are automating by using parametric tools (BIM, scripting, etc.) while contractors are moving into pre-fabrication and modularization. Both conceptualizations are incomplete. The paper presents how we are in the first steps of creating learning algorithms that develop specific intelligence in design synthesis and how the design field will became even more sophisticated as a second generation of multi-material 3D printing techniques produce new materials.
Palavras-chave: Automation, Architectural design, Artificial intelligence, Learning algorithms, Multi-material printers,
-  Coates, P. (2010). Programming.Architecture. London: Routledge.
-  Derix, C. (2010). Mediating Spatial Phenomena through Computational Heuristics. in ACADIA 10: LIFE In:formation.
-  Galle, P. (1981). An algorithm for exhaustive generation of building floor plans. Communications of the ACM 24(12), 813-825.
-  Hiller, J. D. Andamp; Lipson, H. (2009). Design automation for multi-material printing." Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium (SFF’09).
-  Lipson, H. Andamp; Kurman, M. (2013). Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing. Indiana: John Wiley Andamp; Sons.
-  Mcgraw Hill (2009). Smartmarket Report. The Business Value Of BIM: Getting Building Information Modeling To The Bottom Line. Mcgraw Hill.
-  Mitchell, W. J. (1990). The logic of architecture: Design, computation, and cognition. MIT press.
-  Lindemeier, T., Pirk, S. Andamp; Deussen, O. (2013). Image stylization with a painting machine using semantic hints. Computers Andamp; Graphics, 37(5), 293-301.
-  Ng, A. S.U. (2009). Video Lecture - An application of supervised learning - Autonomous driving, CS229 - Machine Learning. Engineering, University of Stanford.
-  Obayashi, S. (1999). Construction Robot System Catalogue in Japan, Japan Robot Association, Tokyo: Council for Construction Robot Research.
-  Ratner, B. (2000). A comparison of two popular machine learning methods. Mine Tech.
-  Schumacher, P. (2009). Parametricism - A New Global Style for Architecture and Urban Design. AD Architectural Design, 79(4).
-  Winograd, T. A., Andamp; Flores, C. F. (1986). Understanding computers and cognition: A new foundation for design. Intellect Books.
Andia, Alfredo; "Automated Architecture: Why CAD, Parametrics and Fabrication are Really Old News", p. 83-86 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0013
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação