fevereiro 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química
Artigo - Open Access.
ASCORBIC ACID AS AN AUXILIARY TO ENHANCE COAGULATION FOR TURBIDITY AND TOTAL SOLIDS REMOVAL FROM GREYWATER
Alum-coagulation, Iron-coagulation and Iron-NH4 enhanced with ascorbic acid were used on the samples that were synthetically prepared and treated in reactors at ambient temperature to meet the Brazilian water quality discharge limits or to be reused. A series of jar test experiments was run at 150 rpm for 2 min and 30 min for settling. 95 mg/L dose of traditional coagulant (alum, iron or iron-NH4) was applied at pH ranging from 4-10. The coagulation was enhanced by adding doses of ascorbic acid resulting in three concentrations: 2.38, 7.14 and 11.9 g/L. Raw and coagulated greywater samples were analyzed for their turbidity, TS and conductivity as a function of time. The jar test experiments provided evidence that coagulation process could not provide sufficient TS removal efficiency in the greywater except at an iron-NH4 + acid in all concentrations of the acid reaching a maximum removal after 4-5 h decanting. Turbidity was better removed when the small concentrations of ascorbic acid was employed. Generally, enhanced coagulation process using ascorbic acid was not sufficient to meet turbidity (Andlt; 20 mg/L) and TS (100 mg/L) limits. The highest turbidity removal (95%) was obtained at the range of 2.0–4.3 pH values, whereas turbidity removal was lesser in the greywater treated with Iron Chloride in the 11.90 g/L concentration. All experiments with controlled pH resulted in treated greywater with increasing in conductivity. Conductivity was found significantly high when controlled pH was used in the coagulation process.
-  MERIÇ, S.; GUIDA, M.; MATTEI, M.; ANSELMO, A.; MELLUSO, G. Evaluation of coagulation flocculation process for S. Giovanni a Teduccio municipal wastewater treatment plant. Fresenius Envir. Bull., v.11, p. 906–909, 2002a. MERIÇ, S.; GUIDA, M.; MATTEI, M.; ANSELMO, A.; MELLUSO, G.; PAGANO, G. Microbial and COD removal in a municipal wastewater treatment plant using coagulation flocculation process. J. Environ. Sci. Health, v. A37(8), p. 1483–1494, 2002b. DELGADO, S.; DIAZ, F.; GARCIA, D.; OTERO, N. Behavior of inorganic coagulants in secondary effluents from a conventional wastewater treatment plant. Filtr. Separ., v. 40(7), p. 42–46, 2003.
-  ROSSINI, M.; GARRIDO, J. G.; GALLUZZO, M. Optimization of the coagulation–flocculation treatment: Influence of rapid mix parameters. Wat. Res., v. 33(8), p. 1817–1826, 1999.
-  SELÇUK, H.; KAPTAN, D.; MERIÇ, S. Coagulation of textile wastewater using alum and Fe(III) salts. Fresenius Environ. Bull., v. 13(10), p. 1045–1048, 2004.
-  VOLK, C.; BELL, K.; IBRAHIM, E.; VERGES, D.; AMY, G.; LECHEVALLIER, M. Impact of enhanced and optimized coagulation on removal of organic matter and its biodegradable fraction in drinking water. Wat. Res., v. 34(12), p. 3247–3257, 2000.
-  Área temática: Engenharia Ambiental e Tecnologias Limpas 7RIZZO, L.; BELGIORNO, V.; GALLO, M.; MERIÇ, S. Removal of THMs precursors from a high-alkaline surface water by enhanced coagulation and behavior of THMFP toxicity on D. magna. Desalination, v. 176, p. 177–188, 200
-  GAO, B.Y.; H.H. HAHN; H. H., HOFFMANN, E. Evaluation of aluminium–silicate polymer composite as a coagulant for water treatment. Wat. Res., v. 36, p. 3573–3581, 2002a. GAO, B.Y.; YUE, Q. Y.; WANG, B. J.; CHUA, Y. B. Polyaluminium-silicate-chloride (PASiC) — a new type of composite inorganic polymer coagulant. Colloids and Surfaces, v. 229(1–3), p. 121–127, 2003.
-  GAO, B. Y.; YUE, Q. Y.; MIAO, J. Evaluation of polyaluminium ferric chloride (PAFC) as a composite coagulant for water and wastewater treatment. Wat. Sci. Tech., v. 47(1), p.127–132, 2002b. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 20th ed., American Public Health Association/American water Works Association/Water Environment Federation, Washington, DC, USA, 1998.
-  BONEBERG, D. G.; REVOLTA;, B. S.; PIMENTA, P. S.; FRANCO JR, M. R. Removing general organic compounds from small quantities of river water. American Journal of Environmental Engineering. v.3(5), 2013.
-  ALMEIDA, J. S. M.; FRANCO JR, M. R. Dissolved oxygen measurements on Uberabinha River for determining the oxygenation constant. Anais do III CIMAS - São Paulo. Outubro de 2013.
-  ALMEIDA, J. S. M.; ROCHA, N. R. A. F.; FRANCO JR, M. R. Treating domestic greywater and expectations to be reused. American Journal of Environmental Engineering. v. 3(5), 2013.
REVOLTA, B. S.; FRANCO JR, M. R.; "ASCORBIC ACID AS AN AUXILIARY TO ENHANCE COAGULATION FOR TURBIDITY AND TOTAL SOLIDS REMOVAL FROM GREYWATER", p. 9558-9565 . In: Anais do XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química - COBEQ 2014 [= Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings, v.1, n.2].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2359-1757, DOI 10.5151/chemeng-cobeq2014-1991-16511-176303
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação