Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
ANALYTICAL-NUMERICAL STUDIES OF HYDRODYNAMIC PRESSURES ON SLOPPING DAMS AND VERTICAL DAMS WITH INCLINED RESERVOIR BOTTOM
Although still present in the popular imagination, the idea that the Brazilian territory is devoid of earthquakes and tradition that structures designed in this region do not require special considerations on this phenomenon are losing strength. Standards for the seismic design of structures were recently developed and reports of seismic phenomena in the country are not rare. The Brazilian seismic activity is low but not non-existent. Earthquakes of significant magnitudes have been recorded and seismic history of this region is still little known. Greater understandings of seismology, the availability of new records of earthquakes and seismic observations of the behavior of structures have shown that a strong earthquake could induce a significant dynamic amplification, capable of possible structural damage in concrete dams. The evaluation of seismic safety of dams is a growing concern, because accidents involving this type of structure have catastrophic consequences, with human and material losses. This paper provides contributions to an analytical-numerical study on the damreservoir interaction problem. The separation of variables method is employed in the closed form solution of the bidimensional Laplace equation over rectangular domains, assuming an infinite reservoir in the longitudinal direction. On a next step, having the analytical expressions as a reference, a finite difference scheme is employed in non-rectangular domains, using the commercial software Excel. These solutions are readily applied in the investigation of hydrodynamic pressures for non-vertical dam-reservoir interface as well as inclined reservoir bottom. For these particular cases, where there is no analytical solution, parametric studies were made, providing simplified expressions and design abacuses. The proposed expressions can be readily applied in practical analysis of dam-reservoir interaction problems.
Palavras-chave: Hydrodynamic Pressures, Finite Differences, Laplace Equation, Slopping Dams.,
-  NBR1542 Design of Earthquake Resistant Structures - Procedure. Brazilian Association of Technical Standards - ABNT, 2006.
-  Westergaard, HM (1933) - "Water Pressures on dams During earthquakes." ASC Transactions, 59 (8), Part 3, p. 418-47
-  CHOPRA, A. K. (1978) - "Earthquake resistant design of concrete gravity dams." Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol 104, pp. 953-971.
-  Silva, S. F. "Dam-Reservoir Interaction Dynamics: Analytical and Numerical Models", Doctoral Thesis in Structures and Construction, Publication E.TD-05A/07, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Brasília, Brasília, DF, 220 p., 2007.
-  RIBEIRO, P. M. V. An Analytical Methodology for Evaluation of Stress Field in Concrete Gravity Dams during Earthquakes. 162p.Dissertation (Master in Structures and Building) - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Brasilia, Brasilia, 2006.
-  Ribeiro, P. M. V., 2010, "Analytical Solutions for Two-Dimensional Acoustic Cavities with Application to the Study of Dam-Reservoir Interaction Dynamics", PhD Thesis, Publication E.TD-004A/10, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Brasilia, Brasilia, DF, 306 p.
-  RIBEIRO, P. M. V., Melo, C. A. E., Pedroso, L. J. "Semi-Analytical Solution of Dam- Reservoir Interaction in the Fundamental Mode Shape." In: Solid Mechanics in Brazil - 2009. New York: ABCM - Brazilian Association of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 2009, p. 445-473.
-  AVILÉS, Javier, LI, Xiangyue. "Analytical-Numerical Solution for Hydrodynamic Pressures on Dams with Sloping Face Considering Compressibility and Viscosity of Water." Mexican Institute of Technology del Agua.
-  Chwang, Allen T. "Hydrodynamic Pressures on Dams During Earthquakes Sloping. Part 2. Exact Theory. " Division of Applied Science and Engineering, California Institute of Technology.
-  Microsof Excel 2007. User Manual.
-  Grapher v. 7.0. User Manual.
Belo, D. O. T.; Ribeiro, P. M. V.; "ANALYTICAL-NUMERICAL STUDIES OF HYDRODYNAMIC PRESSURES ON SLOPPING DAMS AND VERTICAL DAMS WITH INCLINED RESERVOIR BOTTOM", p. 559-576 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18024
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação