Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
ANALYSIS OF MULTISTABLE VARIABLE STIFFNESS COMPOSITE PLATES
This paper presents a new concept for morphing composite structures based on variable stiffness composite plates. The variable stiffness morphing laminate proposed in this paper consists in a modified version of a straight fiber laminate composed of two regions, one with symmetric and the other with unsymmetric stacking sequence. Since there is a lay-up mismatch where the two regions meet, stress concentrations are expected to occur. A solution to ameliorate this effect is analyzed in which the fibers are allowed to vary smoothly along the plane from one region to the other. The particular trajectories followed by the curved fibers were designed such that the plate can be manufactured using Advanced Fiber Placement technology (AFP). A finite element analysis of the laminate is performed to predict its out-of-plane displacements for the two possible stable configurations that may be obtained after the curing process. Then, the plate may be snapped from one shape to the other with the application of a force. This snap-through behavior is analyzed and compared with the original straight fiber plate. The concept of a bi-stable Variable Stiffness Plate composed of regions of symmetric and unsymmetric lay-ups that preserve the tangential continuity of the fibers could be of great importance in morphing or shape-adaptable structures, such as winglets or flaps.
Palavras-chave: Bi-stable composites,Unsymmetric composites, Variable Stiffness Panels, Morphing Structures.,
-  Gibson, R. F., “A review of recent research on mechanics of multifunctional composite materials and structures,” Composite Structures, Vol. 92, No. 12, pp. 2793–2810, 2010.
-  McGowan, A.-M. R., Washburn, A. E., Horta, L. G., Bryant, R. G., Cox, D. E., Siochi, E. J., Padula, S. L., and Holloway, N. M., “Recent results from nasa’s morphing project,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2002, Proceedings of SPIE - The Int. Soc. for Opt. Eng., Vol. 4698, No. 97, San Diego, CA, 200
-  Iannucci, L. and Fontanazza, L., “Design of morphing wing structures,” in 3rd SEAS DTC Technical Conference, Edinburgh, 2008.
-  Thill, C., Etches, J. A., Bond, I. P., Potter, K. D., and Weaver, P. M., “Morphing skins,” The Aeronautical Journal, Vol. 112, No. 1129, pp. 117–139, 2008.
-  Sofla, A., Meguid, S., Tan, K., and Yeo, W., “Shape morphing of aircraft wing: Status and challenges,” Materials and Design, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1284–1292, 2010.
-  Diaconu, C. G., Weaver, P. M., and Mattioni, F., “Concepts for morphing airfoil sections using bi-stable laminated composite structures,” Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 689–701, 2008.
-  Daynes, S., Weaver, P. M., and Potter, K. D., “Aeroelastic study of bistable composite airfoils,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 2169–2174, 2009.
-  Mattioni, F., Weaver, P. M., Potter, K. D., and Friswell, M. I., “The application of thermally induced multistable composites to morphing aircraft structures,” in Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 6930, 693012, San Diego, CA, Mar. 200
-  Lachenal, X., Daynes, S., and Weaver, P. M., “Review of morphing concepts and materials for wind turbine blade applications,” Wind Energy, 2012.
-  Lachenal, X., Weaver, P. M., and Daynes, S., “Multi-stable composite twisting structure for morphing applications,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 468, No. 2141, pp. 1230–1251, May 2012.
-  Portela, P., Camanho, P., Weaver, P., and Bond, I., “Analysis of morphing, multi stable structures actuated by piezoelectric patches,” Computers and Structures, Vol. 86, No. 3–5, pp. 347–356, 2008.
-  Correia, V. M. F., Gomes, M. A. A., Suleman, A., Soares, C. M. M., and Soares, C. A. M., “Modelling and design of adaptive composite structures,” Computational Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 185, pp. 325–346, 2000.
-  Mattioni, F., Weaver, P., Potter, K., and Friswell, M., “Analysis of thermally induced multistable composites,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 657–675, 2008.
-  Mattioni, F.,Weaver, P., and Friswell, M., “Multistable composite plates with piecewise variation of lay-up in the planform,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 151–164, 2009.
-  Hyer, M. W., “Some observations on the cured shape of thin unsymmetric laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 15, pp. 175–194, Mar. 1981.
-  Hamamoto, A. and Hyer, M. W., “Non-linear temperature-curvature relationships for unsymmetric graphite-epoxy laminates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 919–935, 1987.
-  Dano, M.-L. and Hyer, M. W., “Thermally-induced deformation behavior of unsymmetric laminates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 35, No. 17, pp. 2101–2120, 1998.
-  Dano, M.-L. and Hyer, M.W., “The response of unsymmetric laminates to simple applied forces,” Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 65–80, 1996.
-  Dano, M.-L. and Hyer, M. W., “Snap-through of unsymmetric fiber-reinforced composite laminates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 175–198, 2002.
-  Potter, K.,Weaver, P., Seman, A. A., and Shah, S., “Phenomena in the bifurcation of unsymmetric composite plates,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 100–106, 2007.
-  Pirrera, A., Avitabile, D., and Weaver, P., “Bistable plates for morphing structures: A refined analytical approach with high-order polynomials,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 47, No. 25–26, pp. 3412–3425, 2010.
-  Gürdal, Z. and Olmedo, R., “Composite laminates with spatially varying fiber orientations: Variable stiffness panel concept,” in Proceedings of the 33rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials (SDM) Conference, Dallas, TX, Apr. 1992, pp. 798–808.
-  Gürdal, Z. and Olmedo, R., “In-plane response of laminates with spatially varying fiber orientations: Variable stiffness concept,” AIAA, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 751–758, Apr. 1993.
-  Olmedo, R. and Gürdal, Z., “Buckling response of laminates with spatially varying fiber orientations,” in Proceedings of the 34th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials (SDM) Conference, La Jolla, CA, Apr. 1993, paper AIAA no. 93-1567, pp. 2261– 2269.
-  Wu, K. C., Thermal and structural performance of tow-placed, variable stiffness panels. IOS Press, Sep. 2006.
-  Abaqus/CAE, User’s Manual. Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA, 2010.
-  Waldhart, C. J., “Analysis of tow-placed, variable-stiffness laminates,” Master’s thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, Jun. 1996.
-  Hahn, H. T. and Pagano, N. J., “Curing stresses in composite laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 91–106, Jan. 1975.
-  Hyer, M. W., “The room-temperature shapes of four-layer unsymmetric cross-ply laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 16, pp. 318–340, Jul. 1982.
-  Crisfield, M. A., “A fast incremental/iterative solution procedure that handles ’snap-through’,” Computers and Structures, Vol. 13, No. 1–3, pp. 55–62, 1981.
-  Ramm, E., Strategies for tracing the nonlinear response near limit points, E. Wunderlich, E. S. and Bathe, K. J., Editors. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1981.
-  Dávila, C. G., Camanho, P. P., and Rose, C. A., “Failure criteria for FRP laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 39, pp. 323–345, 2005.
-  Dávila, C. G. and Camanho, P. P., “Failure criteria for FRP laminates in plane stress,” National Aeronautics and Space Administration, NASA/TM-2003-212663, 2003.
Sousa, C. S.; Camanho, P. P.; Suleman, A.; "ANALYSIS OF MULTISTABLE VARIABLE STIFFNESS COMPOSITE PLATES", p. 2629-2651 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18944
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação