Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
AN EXPERIMENT ON THE NUMERICAL DAMPING OF MOVING PARTICLE SEMI-IMPLICIT (MPS) METHOD
The Moving Particle Semi-Implicit (MPS) method is a lagrangian particle method originally developed to simulate incompressible flow. However, when applied to the study of some phenomena, a non negligible numerical damping of the particles motion was observed by the authors. In this work a simulator developed at the Numerical Offshore Tank at University of São Paulo based on the MPS method is used. To investigate the nature and the effects of the numerical damping, numerical experiments based on two benchmark cases with well known analytical solutions were carried out in the present work. The first case is the Poiseuille flow and the results show that for low acceleration values there is a numerical damping that, in extreme cases, can stop the flow; but for higher accelerations, agreement with the analytical profile of velocities were obtained. The second case is a falling-film flow, also the results show that the discrepancy between numerical and analytical results is remarkable in the cases with lower acceleration, but for higher accelerations there is a good agreement between both approaches.
Palavras-chave: Moving Particle Semi-Implicit, Numerical method, Numerical damping,
-  Bird R.B., Stewart W.E., Lightfoot E.N., ”Transport Phenomena”, 2nd Ed., 200
-  Koshizuka S., Oka Y., “Moving particle semi-implicit method for fragmentation of incompressible fluid”. Nuclear science and engineering, 123(3), 421-434, 1996.
-  Lee B.-H., Park J.-C., Kim M.-H., ”Two-Dimensional Vessel-Motion/Liquid-Sloshing Interactions and Impact Loads by Using a Particle Method”. Proceedings of the ASME 29th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering (OMAE2010), Shanghai, 2010.
-  Morris J.P., Fox P.J., Zhu Y., “Modeling Low Reynolds Number Incompressible Flows Using SPH”. Journal of Computational Physics, 136(1), 214-226, 1997.
-  Tanaka M., Masunaga T., ”Stabilization and smoothing of pressure in MPS method by Quasi-Compressibility”. Journal of Computational Physics, 229(11), 4279-4290, 2010.
Motezuki, F. K.; Cheng, L.Y.; "AN EXPERIMENT ON THE NUMERICAL DAMPING OF MOVING PARTICLE SEMI-IMPLICIT (MPS) METHOD", p. 1294-1303 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18345
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação