novembro 2016 vol. 3 num. 1 - XX Congreso de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital
Full Article - Open Access.
Embedding auxetic properties in designing active-bending gridshells
Advancements in computational tools are offering designers the possibility to change their relationship with materials. The exploration of auxetic metamaterials, specifically engineered to obtain properties beyond those found in nature, is the promising field examined in this paper. The aim is to define tools and methods in order to design auxetics, and use them to create efficient active-bending structures. By programming their geometry through several parameters, it is possible to finely control curvature and structural resistance. The paper describes an original investigation into the process of programming such structures through the use of combined computational tools.
Palavras-chave: Auxetics; Active-Bending; 3D Printing; Computational Design,
-  Alderson, A. & Alderson, K. L. (2007). Auxetic materials, Special issue paper in Proc. IMechE, Vol. 221 Part G: J. Aerospace, 27 February.
-  Du Peloux, L., Baverel, O., Caron, J. F. & Tayeb, F. (2015). From shape to shell: a design tool to materialize freeform shapes using gridshell structures, in Design Modelling Symposium, Berlin.
-  Evans, K. E. & Alderson, A. (2000). Auxetic Materials: Functional Materials and Structures from Lateral Thinking, in Advanced Materials, 12, No.9, 617-628.
-  Evans, K. (1990). Tailoring the negative Poisson ratio. Chem. Ind.-London 20, 654–657.
-  Fleischmann, M. & Menges, A. (2012). Physics-Based Modeling as an Alternative Approach to Geometrical Constraint - Modeling for the Design of Elastically Deformable Material Systems, in Simulation, Prediction and Evaluation, Volume 1, pp 565-576.
-  Happold, E. & Liddell, W. I. (1975). Timber lattice roof for the Mannheim Bundesgartenschau, in The Structural Engineer, Vol. 53. (No.3).
-  Kelly, O. J., Harris, R. J. L., Dickson, M. G. T. & Rowe, J. A. (2001). Construction of the Downland Gridshell, in The Structural Engineer, 79, No. 17, 4 September.
-  Körner, C. and Liebold-Ribeiro, Y., (2014), A systematic approach to identify cellular auxetic materials, in Smart Mater. Struct. 24 025013 (10pp), 19 December.
-  Lafuente, E., Gengnagel, C., Sechelmann, S. & Rörig, T. (2015). On the Materiality and Structural Behaviour of highly-elastic Gridshell Structures; in Research of Paper Department of Architecture, University of the Arts, Berlin, Germany, May 06.
-  Lakes, R. S. (1987). Foam structure with a negative Poisson’s Ratio, in Science, Vol. 235.
-  Lienhard, J., Alpermann, H., Gengnagel, C. & Knippers, J. (2013). Active Bending, A Review on Structures where Bending is used as a Self-Formation Process, in "International Journal of Space Structures" Volume 28, Number 3 & 4.
-  Liu, Y. & Hu, H. (2010) A review on auxetic structures and polymeric materials, Scientific Research and Essays Vol. 5 (10), pp. 1052-1063, 18 May.
-  Liu,Q. (2006). Literature Review: Materials with Negative Poisson's Ratios and Potential Applications to Aerospace and Defence. (Electronic Thesis or Dissertation). Retrieved from item: http://dspace.dsto.defence.gov.au/dspace/handle/1947/4436.
-  Mir, M., Najabat Ali, M., Sami, J. & Ansar, U. (2014). Review of Mechanics and Applications of Auxetic Structure, in Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering.
-  Mozaffar, S. R. & Zaini, A. (2015). Finite Element Modelling of Different 2D Re-Entrant Structures of Auxetic Materials, in Proc. of the Second Intl. Conf. on Advances in Mechanical and Automation Engineering.
-  Naboni, R. & Mirante, L. (2015). Metamaterial computation and fabrication of auxetic patterns for architecture. Blucher Design Proceedings, 2(3), 129-136.
-  Naboni, R & Paoletti, I. (2015). Advanced Customization in Architectural Design and Construction. Springer International Publishing.
-  Pone, S., Colabella, S., D'Amico, B., Fiore, A., Lancia, D. & Parenti, B. (2013). Timber Post-formed Gridshell: Digital Form-finding / drawing and building tool, Proceedings of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures (IASS) Symposium 2013, Beyond the limits of man, 23-27 September.
-  Pone, S., Colabella, S., Parenti, B., Lancia, D. & Fiore, A. (2013). Construction and form-finding of a post-formed timber grid-shell, in Structures and Architecture: Concepts, Applications and Challenges, Cruz (ed) Taylor & Francis Group, London.
-  Quinn, G., Gengnagel, C. (2014). A review of elastic gridshells, their erection methods and the potential use of pneumatic formwork, in Mobile and Rapidly Assembled Structures, WIT Transactions on The Built Environment, Vol 136 pp 129-143.
-  Schleicher, S., Rastetter, A., La Magna, R. A., Schönbrunner, A., Haberbosch, N. & Knippers,J. (2015). Form Finding and design potentials of bending-Active Plate structures, in Modelling Behaviour, Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
-  Sun, Y. & Pugno, N. M. (2013). In plane stiffness of multifunctional hierarchical honeycombs with negative Poisson’s ratio sub-structures, in Composite Structures, Number 106, pp 681–689.
Naboni, Roberto; Pezzi, Stefano Sartori ; "Embedding auxetic properties in designing active-bending gridshells", p. 720-726 . In: XX Congreso de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.3 n.1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2016-490
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação